And if I am going to cook in bacon, I might as well go to the fancy pants butcher and acquire fancy pants bacon. This was my first trip there, to any butcher actually, but certainly not my last.
Inspired by a few Irish recipes I saw....
1 head of cabbage
4 slices of delicious fancy pants bacon
1 tsp nutmeg; salt and pepper
1. Roughly chop cabbage, discarding core.
2. Cook bacon in a dutch oven or skillet, on medium heat, until crisped to desired consistency.
3. Remove bacon. (Reserve some bacon grease in a small mason jar for a rainy day.)
4. Stand back. Add cabbage into pot. Stir to coat all of the cabbage in bacon renderings. Put a lid on loosely. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. I added 1/2 cup of water to steam/boil the cabbage faster.
5. Add nutmeg and stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. Chop bacon and add to cabbage.
7. Eat up!