Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Reminiscing About Honey Lemon Lavender Fro Yo & Lavender Farm Visits

An overdo funny story.

I have many awesome friends.  But there is one who is as nutty as I am about playing in the kitchen and we buy eachother epic birthday presents.  She changed my life with the ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid.  In anticipation this present, back in May, I trolled around online to purchase culinary grade lavender for my frozen yogurt experiments.  I settle on some from Amazon.com that comes from Pelindaba Lavender Farm (none the wiser that I would visit the farm months later.)

Beach week commences in May with a house full of friends in the Outer Banks.  The perfect opportunity to christen the ice cream attachment.  (Yes, a Kitchen Aid is totally portable... So is a bicycle... whatever.)  No need to serve it up all pretty at the beach, just a pile of spoons during a game night and a container of fresh Honey Lemon Lavender Fro Yo.  It is a winner.  I promise.

Honey Lemon Lavender Fro Yo
Ingredients
1 quart vanilla non fat greek yogurt

Juice of 2 lemons and their zest
1 T dried lavender
1/2 C half and half or whole milk or fat free half and half
1/3 C honey

Directions
1. Bring half and half to boil.  Remove from heat.  Add dried lavendar.  Let sit for 30 min - 1 hour. 
2. In large bowl mix everything else. 

3. Strain lavender and add to mixture.  I left some lavender in though, it looks neat.
4. Follow manufacturer's directions for using ice cream maker. 
5.  You could serve it nice and pretty.  Or you could give everyone a spoon.  Your choice. 

Now for the funny part.  A solid 3 months after this wildly successful fro yo experiment, I am on a 4 day San Juan Bike Tour with my Mom, and on Day 4, there is a visit to...... Pelindaba Lavender Farm!  As our guides were talking about stopping at Pelindaba, I kept having a weird feeling, thinking that it sounded familiar, but could not figure out why.  When I set foot in the gift shop, I spied with my little eye - the exact same tin cans of culinary grade lavender for sale!  I found this to be eerily serendipitous and super weird and super awesome.  But mainly super relaxing from the scent and sights of lavender and super delicious.    

3 comments:

  1. What a great post! We love hearing stories like this. We agree with your comment - "super weird and super awesome!" We are looking forward to trying your fro yo recipe. In the next year we are going to be updating our Lavender Cookbook. Have you ever thought about submitting your recipe to a cookbook? We might be interested in including it in the next addition.
    We are very pleased you enjoyed your visit to the Farm this summer and look forward to your next visit.
    Best,
    Pelindaba Lavender

    PS - Your order for Organic Lavender Essential Oil just came through - we'll get it in process and out to you right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I'd certainly like to submit recipes! This one and whatever else I manage to concoct! I'll stay tuned to your social media channels for submitting!

      Delete
  2. A little birdie (Theodora!) told us about this and holy MOLY does your froCHO look delicious! We'd love to send some more Chobani your way to help ya keep whipping up your amazing creations. Shoot an email to amy.keefe[at]chobani dot com to chat.

    Amy @ Chobani

    ReplyDelete