Sunday, November 18, 2012

Crockpot Applesauce




I recently went apple picking with friends and needed to process a crap ton of apples.  After all the work of picking perfect apples.  I got to check out and they literally had half bushels for $5 that had slight imperfections.  Translation?  I couldn't not buy them and they were perfect for applesauce.  And the best discovery?  You can freeze homemade applesauce in freezer bags.  I usually always use quart size and portion 1-2 servings per bag I plan to freeze. It stacks well to save space.

Crockpot Applesauce
Serves several

Ingredients
A lot of apples
Half a bag of real cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1 T lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
Decent sprinkle of cinnamon
1/4 C water

Slice your apples to desired consistency   If you want more chunky cinnamon apples rather than applesauce - you can chunk apples.  Makes for a good mock apple crisp if you top with granola.  Also makes a nice oatmeal topper.  If I want chunky applesauce, I use my fun apple slicer, corer, and peeler contraption - though I usually keep the peels on.  And if I want my applesauce runny, I cook longer, and may even use the immersion blender to get a smooth consistency.  All depends what I'm in the mood for.

Fill the crockpot to the brim with apples. Add other ingredients.  Turn on low for 4 hours or high for 2.   If you want more cinnamon apple consistency don't cook as long and they will still look like apples.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment