Friday, November 16, 2012

Overnight Soaked Oats: My Go To Breakfast




I think I first came across a soaked oats recipe from Mark Bittman.  It has forever altered my breakfast routine.  While his recipe was loaded with dried fruit, I generally go for real or frozen without the added sugar.  This is so simple to put together the night before and have breakfast that is very grab and go.  It's a staple on days I need to be out the door early and quite frankly, delicious on any day.  On mornings I pay a visit to the personal trainer, it's also easy to eat half before and half after.  You can play with your favorite fruit and nut combos (and trust me, even pumpkin works.)     

Overnight Soaked Oats
Serves 1
Ingredient Options:

  • 1/2 C old fashioned rolled oats 
  • 3/4 - 1 C milk or a combo of plain greek yogurt/kefir and milk  (The less milk the thicker it will be.  Yogurt also gives a nice tartness.  Up to you.  Play with it.  Keifir works wonders in the dairy mix.
  • 1 tsp local honey (maple syrup, splenda, sugar in the raw, brown sugar all work)
  • A generous sprinkle of cinnamon
  • Sliced banana; blueberries; strawberries; peaches; mango; cherries; real cranberries; whatever you have in the freezer or fresh - can't go wrong.  I've also done this with canned pumpkin - I just use pie spice, and a little less dairy.  
  • 4 crushed walnut halves or pecan halves or peanuts (or 1 or 2 T of PB2)

The night before put oats, dairy, cinnamon, fruit (if you're using frozen or dried), and honey/sweetener of choice in a sealed container.  Shake a tad if desired to blend.  Refrigerate overnight... Indulge in the morning with a perfect, 'I have no time in the morning but want a healthful breakfast, breakfast.'  

Tips: 
If you are using dried fruit (craisins, blueberries, diced apricots) or frozen (cherries, blueberries, etc..), I add those in the night before to plump up (if dried) or defrost (if frozen).

If I'm adding fresh fruit (banana, berries, etc) I slice up and add the morning I'm eating soaked oats.  Tends to get slimy or soggy if added the night before.  Lessons from trial and error.  

Favorite combos: 
Frozen cherries, vanilla extract, pecans, cinnamon;
Pumpkin, banana, real cranberries or a dollop of cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup;
Frozen blueberries and frozen peaches and pecans;
Banana and peanuts/peanut butter;
2 T PB2, banana, 1 T sugar in the raw, 1 T hershey's cocoa powder, keifir, milk.

Picture is:
1/4 C of a grain blend that was a gift from a colleague and is delicious; 1/2 C Plain 0% greek yogurt; 1/4 C skim milk; frozen blueberries; frozen mangoes; cinnamon; 1 tsp honey; 3 walnut halves.

Eat up!


No comments:

Post a Comment