Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Acorn Squash Half with Chorizo and Potato Saute

I am super glad I cook for one.  I get to combine cravings like chorizo and hashbrowns in a pretty little vegetable bowl known as an acorn squash half.  I had chorizo in the freezer.  I bought a giant link at Whole Foods awhile ago because I wanted chorizo breakfast tacos.  Which were delish.  But I divided the chorizo link into thirds and froze the portions for a rainy day.  Turns out, today was that rainy day.  Made this before scurrying out for the evening.  (It's true.  Sometimes I say I'm busy and can't meet til later, simply because I want some me time in the kitchen.)  Anyways, so what do you get when you combine these three things?  Magic.  Or maybe just a delicious dinner.      

  
Acorn Squash Half with Chorizo and Potato Saute

Ingredients
1 small red potato
1/2 acorn squash
1/3 of a giant Chorizo link
1/2 tsp canola oil
salt, pepper, garlic powder

Directions
  • Pull out your frozen portion of chorizo the day before to muse for a day about what you wanna do with it.  So it's nice and defrosted by the time you have this craving.
  • Shred potato with a cheese grater.  Leave the skin on.   
  • Cut acorn squash in half.  Put half in a ziplock for a rainy day.  Put other half cut side down with a smidge of water microwaving in 2 minute intervals until a fork pierces the squash. 
  • Meanwhile, back on the stovetop, heat a skillet to medium heat.  Put canola oil in pan and heat.  Add potato and chorizo. Add salt and pepper and garlic powder.  (You know how much you like.)  Cook for ~ 5 minutes. 
  • When everything is done, put chorizo and potato in squash.  
  • Voila.  Chow down.  Add more salt, pepper, and garlic powder if necessary.  It looks weird, but trust me - yum.  



No comments:

Post a Comment