Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Lentil Hodge Podge


If you haven’t gathered, I am a busy girl.  Yesterday, I wanted lentils.  And I wanted them when I walked in the door.  I had a 30 minute window after work to change, eat, say hi to my roommate, and then leave for pilates and a date.  So, yesterday morning I threw some stuff in a crockpot.  And I let it simmer away for 9 hours.  I could have given myself more time, but I wanted to earn my tea and lavender lemon sugar cookie by walking to pilates.  Amazing how a 30 minute walk can become 20 minutes when it is "feels like a single-digit" cold.   (Not gonna lie, I selfishly set up dates at tea/wine bars next door to pilates.  Then I think about cookies all day.)

But back to the lentils.  Nothing like walking into the apartment to crockpot smells on a 17 degree evening so that I could enjoy a warm bowl of comfort.  This was a full meal in a bowl - vegetables; protein; and grain and delicious.  It wasn't all that photogenic, because it probably only needed 4 hours in the crock.  9 hours turned it into a delicious bowl of baby food mush.  But I swear, the key word there is delicious.    

Lentil Hodge Podge
Makes 8 - 1 cup servings
Ingredients

1 1/2 C lentils
1/2 C barley
1 package frozen block of spinach
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can light coconut milk   
3 ish cups of broth of choice (I used frozen turkey stock from Thanksgiving)
1 cup of water (I was worried about leaving everything for 9 hours)
Miscellaneous Indian spices that I didn't measure: tumeric, curry, corriander, garlic powder, cumin, garam masala, salt and pepper

Directions
Put all of the things in crockpot on low.  9 hours for mushy deliciousness.  Less time for less mushy.  Delicious regardless, I'm certain.  

1 comment: