Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Beet Sauce aka Beet Smoothie but Spoon Required


The CSA has been providing a bounty of glorious beets.  I do love roasting them and eating them on salads.  And also pickling them.  But recently I felt like making a smoothie.  I'm not huge into the juicing craze.  I like fiber too much.  But I threw these things in the food processor... And voila.  Beet sauce to be eaten with a spoon.

Ingredients:
Beets: Trimmed, peeled, chunked if they are huge.  However many you have left in the veggie drawer.
Carrots: CSA whole ones preferred.  Washed and trimmed.  A handful or so of baby carrots works, too.
Unsweetened applesauce: 1 Cup or so.  I would've used whole apples if I'd had them.    
Mint:  However much your heart desires.  I discovered keeping mint in the freezer totally works fine for things like this.
Lemon: Juice of 1 lemon.  Keeps the colors bright and the flavor fresh.
Water: This is a thick goopy mess.  Water helps.

Directions:
Put all the things in the food processor.  Press on.  Taste.  Add more of whatever.  Eat.   

No comments:

Post a Comment