Saturday, July 20, 2013

Don't Panic, Just Pickle Your Beets and Cukes


Maybe it's just me, but nothing ensues more panic into a member of a CSA than ... a trip.  Last week, the CSA pickup was on Tuesday, and I had 1 day to eat or process veggies.  Ha.  But I decided to try an experiment in pickling beets.  I was roasting beets while I was simultaneously packing a suitcase. Normal, right?  I knew these were waiting for me when I came home to try.  The result?  I will be perhaps pickling more things...

Ingredients:
3 beets
cucumbers (optional)
1 C apple cider vinegar
1/2 C sugar and 1 1/2 tsp salt
1 C water



Directions:
Preheat oven to 400. Wash beets and trim ends. If some are larger, cut to be approximately the same size. Wrap loosely in foil. Roast for 40 minutes. Let cool. Peel, discard the skin. Slice beets.

Boil all the other things. Pour over sliced beets and sliced (raw) cukes in mason jar.

Leave for a few days. Enjoy on a salad or on their own.

CSA Salad: mixed greens, corn sliced off the cob, carrots, green pepper,
grapes, chickpeas, pickled cukes and beets, simple dressing of canola oil,
balsamic, honey, oregano, salt and pepper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment