Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Stressball Bran Muffins with Blueberries and Smuggled White Currants


There is something therapeutic about playing in the kitchen for me.  When I feel overwhelmed by things out of my control, the kitchen is my sanctuary.  Feeling bogged down with deep thoughts for some reason tonight, I turned to the fridge and turned up the tunes.

Tonight - I roasted a chicken; made a whole wheat pasta with a CSA veggie ragu (eggplant, portobello, and tomatoes); made bran muffins; and pondered pickled beets and salsa... But you have to draw the line somewhere.  Most delicious were the bran muffins.   Just a tad sweet.  And tart from the currants.  These will be breakfast for several mornings... (Also, I wrapped several in foil to freeze... In small single serve packs of 2 muffins so I can pull out the night before to defrost for breakfasts much later.)

Ingredients:
1 cup wheat bran
1 1/2 wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda (I forgot this.)
Sprinkling of cinnamon
1 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 T oil
2 eggs
1 heaping cup fruit of choice (I used CSA blueberries and White Currants smuggled back from my recent vacation in Washington State)

Directions:Preheat oven to 400.  Blend bran, flour, baking powder, and baking soda.  In separate bowl mix milk, honey, applesauce, oil, and eggs.  Add wet ingredients to larger bowl with dry ingredients.  Add fruit.  (A sprinkle of cinnamon never hurts..)   Spoon into greased mini muffin tins.  Bake 10-15 minutes.  Makes 24 mini muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment