Monday, April 21, 2014

Shredded Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad aka the Shallot that Brought me to Tears




Shredded Kale & Brussels Sprout Salad
Serves a dinner party of 10 with plenty leftover. 

My other Easter side was a yummy carrot salad.  Leave it to me to ensure there isn't a shortage of veggies on the dinner table.  It's kind of my thing.  This oober green salad was delicious and turned out really well, aside from the shallot making me bawl my eyes out.  My time tested trick on how to handle onions and shallots making you cry?  Suck it up, it will be over soon.

I don't need to bother typing out a recipe, when it's already written and photographed so elegantly.. So, see here.  But I will copy and paste it and and I'll add some notes...
-------------------------
For the dressing:
1 Tablespoon minced shallots (Just use a whole giant shallot, because what does one do with the leftover?)
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard (Apparently, optional, because I forgot it.)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I wanted more.  Juice of 3 lemons.)
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest (Zest of 1 lemon.)
2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar (A blop of honey. More like 2T.)
1/4 cup olive oil (I didn't measure it and I used canola.)
For the salad:
4 cups finely shredded Lacinato kale (loosely packed) (I didn't really measure - Bought a healthy loose amount from the store.)
4 cups finely shredded Brussels sprouts (loosely packed) (1 package of sprouts.)
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (Toasting, meh.  I just used a package of slivered almonds.)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese (Measuring, meh.  I used the rest of a package of shredded parm.)

DIRECTIONS:

Make the dressing:
In a small bowl, whisk together the shallots, mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest and honey. Stream in the olive oil while whisking continuously until well combined. Season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste. (You can add more lemon juice or agave nectar to adjust the acidity or sweetness to your personal taste.)  (Or just add all ingredients and shake it in a mason jar.)
Assemble the salad:
In a large bowl, toss together the shredded kale, shredded Brussels sprouts and toasted almonds. Add as much dressing as desired, tossing to combine, then add the cheese and toss. Serve immediately. (I have a feeling it will be delicious a day later also.)
Kelly's Notes:
To shred the Brussels sprouts, cut off the stems, halve them and using a very sharp knife, cut them into shreds. (Or use the food processor.  Amaze-balls.)
To shred the kale, strip the leaves from the stems, stack the leaves on top of one another, roll them up and then cut the roll into ribbons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment