Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal

So rhubarb was in the inaugural CSA box of the season.  Something I'm not all too familiar with using.  But I knew I wanted to make something that wasn't dessert.  Using inspiration from the Oatmeal Artist's recipe,  I went to town.

I decided to pre-prep the rhubarb in one big batch and will use it throughout the week in hot oats and probably my cold soaked oats as well - I have a hunch all of the ingredients below will make for some delish soaked oats.  But holy smokes, my hot strawberry rhubarb oatmeal was a lil bowl of heaven this grey morning.

The CSA rhubarb yielded 3 cups chopped rhubarb.

For rhubarb sauce/liquid stuff - 
Ingredients:
3 cups chopped rhubarb
2 1/4 cups water
3 T maple syrup

Directions: 
Bring to a simmer and cook down for about 10 minutes.  I did this the night before and put in mason jars to use in oats later.

So for the oatmeal in the morning... Ingredients:
1/2 C oats
1/2 C rhubarb liquid/sauce
1/2 C milk
1 C sliced strawberries
splash vanilla extract
1 t sugar in the raw

Directions:
In saucepan simmer oats, rhubarb, and milk.  Add in half of strawberries to cook with oats.  When consistency is right for you, put in bowl and add vanilla, rest of strawberries, and sugar.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment