Monday, February 18, 2013

One Shallot in the Pantry Hummus


So, I alternate between hummus and those amazing 100 calorie guac snack packs for an afternoon pick me up at work with a massive pile of some combo of carrots, red bell pepper, broccoli, cucumber slices, and cherry tomatoes.  It's a 3pm hold over until dinner.  Recently, I'm making the hummus myself.  It's so much cheaper and you can control the ingredients.  I love garlic but found throwing in a straight raw clove can be a bit pungent.  This recipe can be easily altered.  Like sometimes I use olive oil, sometimes I use tahini paste.  This weekend I noticed one shallot on my shelf I had no plans for, and plenty of garlic cloves.  So I decided to saute those in oil before throwing in the food processor - made for a sweeter, less pungent flavor.

One Shallot in the Pantry Hummus
Makes 8 - 2 T servings

Ingredients
1 can chickpeas drained, reserve the pack liquid
Zest of one lemon
Juice of same lemon
1 T Olive Oil
1 shallot
2 large garlic cloves
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin

Directions
In a skillet on medium heat, add olive oil.  When oil is heated, saute roughly chopped shallot and garlic cloves until translucent and smelling yummy.  In food processor, put chick peas, lemon zest, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, sauteed shallot and garlic.  Puree.  Add a small amount of pack liquid.

Hummus without hot sauce
is just plain silly.
Eat it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment