Monday, February 4, 2013

Roasted Spicy Chick Pea Snack or Salad Topper


Chick Peas going into the oven





 

I first saw this recipe in some health magazine over Christmas.  I'd always wanted to try roasted chick peas.  Seemed like a delicious snack with some crunch.  And I do love some protein.  I made it a few times for family and friends to rave reviews.  I made a few tweaks to the spices and I think I have a new snack staple.  I recently took it to watch a hockey game at my friends' casa.  The obvious next step was to put it on a salad and bring it to their Super Bowl gathering.  Well, I did.  And check and mate.  There is usually plenty of sweets, chips, and dips at parties and I often show up with hummus and carrots.  This was a much more fun way to bring a veggie side. (I hope the friends enjoy the leftovers I accidentally left in their fridge.)  And #smurffail because I forgot to take a pic of the final product.  But I think you all know what an assembled salad looks like.  Also, the chickpeas are delish on their own.  Also, it's pretty easy to half the recipe.  

Spicy Chick Peas
 2 15-oz cans of rinsed and drained chick peas*
 2 T canola oil
 1 1/2 T sugar
 1 tsp smoked paprika
 1 tsp garlic powder
 1/2 tsp salt
 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
 1/4 tsp black pepper



 Mix all of the things.  Bake in a single layer on a cookie sheet at 425 for 20-25 minutes.
 *I found dried soaked and cooked chick peas work well also, they aren't as mushy and get crunchier much easier. But canned is faster.  To each their own.

Salad Additions:
1/2 C reduced fat crumbled feta
1/2 English cucumber diced
3 roma tomatoes with seeds removed and diced
Plenty of mixed greens. 3-4 cups.

Dressing: 
Juice of 1 lemon, 1 T olive oil.  Salt and pepper.

Mix everything together.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment