Monday, June 24, 2013

Sweet and Spicy Pork Butt Tacos

Taco with shredded pork;
light mexican cheese; hot sauce;
mixed greens; avocado; and  yogurt sauce.
I felt like dusting my crock pot off yesterday.  I have a great cookbook by America's Test Kitchen on slow-cookers.  I recommend it highly.  I decided to use their recipe with some modifications... (Like if I am buying a can of juice, I'll just dump the whole can in.. And also, the store I went to didn't have the dried peppers, so I bought canned - which I'm sure ended up being way easier.)

Ingredients:
Small piece of pork butt.  I used 1.5 pound and I think it was actually shoulder.  There was no visible fat on it. 
1 small can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 T cumin
1 tsp cloves
5 cloves garlic
12-oz can pineapple juice
salt and pepper

Directions:
Puree half of adobo peppers and sauce, half can pineapple juice, garlic cloves, cumin, and cloves.  Salt and pepper pork.  Place in crock.  Cover with puree.  Add rest of pineapple juice to crock.  Add more cumin, because you can't really have too much.  Cook on high for 5-7 hours or low for 8-10 hours.  Remove pork to bowl.  Let cool for 10 minutes.  Shred with forks.  Remove fat from liquid left in crock.  Discard.  Add about a cup of remaining liquid to pork.  Taste.  Salt if necessary.

Make tacos.  Save some for lunches.  Put a few portions in freezer bags for later.  When I make tacos I like to whip up a quick mock-sour cream.  Fat-free plain greek yogurt + garlic powder + lime juice + cilantro.  Mix to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment