Monday, June 10, 2013

When Life Gives You Garlic Scape, Make Pesto

I discovered this pesto recipe last year when the CSA had garlic scape.  I had never heard of it before - but that's the beauty of the CSA.  Forced kitchen experiments.  I woke up Sunday morning, made coffee, and then on a whim decided to whip up this 4 ingredient deliciousness with my immersion blender before heading to Bob and Edith's for breakfast, since I had the ingredients on hand.  And it takes about as long to make as it takes to plug in the blender.

I used it as a cucumber dip today and at somepoint this week will probably use it on whole wheat pasta, with greens and chicken or something.  It is very fresh, lemon-ey, and garlic-ey.

Ingredients:
3 garlic scapes
1 lemon - zest and juice
enough olive oil to taste
enough parm to taste (I keep some in the freezer because I can't eat it fast enough.  Worked perfectly.)

Directions:
Put in immersion blender attachment or in a food processor.  Press the button.  Add more of something if you need to.  Eat however you see fit.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Smurf! We belong to the same CSA and I found your blog from their pinterest page. This is a really good use of garlic scapes, I'm almost sad that we didn't get more this week! My husband loves pesto and the stuff in the store is pricey. I used my scapes in stir fries with other vegetables and meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for the comment! I've also used it in stir fries. Also raw in a honey, vinegar coleslaw.

      Delete
  2. I too am in your CSA and wish I had found this recipe when we had garlic scapes. What a great learning experience and how can eating this many veggies be at all bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I feel like it's a second job to eat veggies sometimes!

      Delete