Tuesday, June 25, 2013

"Couldn't Find Key Lime Juice" - Pie Frozen Yogurt


Key lime pie is one of my favorites.  So is 'Key Lime Pie Scream' an ice cream flavor I recall fondly from Luke's, a local Atlanta Ice Cream Shop near my college that puts an entire pie in their ice cream.  So rich and so delicious.

The fun of my new ice cream maker, is being able to lighten up recipes, having control over my ingredients, and it is just plain delicious.  I found this recipe on Wicked Yummy, and was inspired.  Problem being I couldn't find Key Lime juice at 4 grocery stores and I was getting desperate.  The ice cream bowl was in the freezer and ripe for the making.  I had all the other ingredients, and I had lemons and limes, so I went with it.  I was home watching tv and doing puzzles with the roommate.  We NEEDED fro yo.

Holy smokes, if there were straws in the apartment last night, I would have inhaled a quart of this in the soft serve state.  (Or 1/2 at least as my roommate would've fought me for it, probably.)  Instead we had a ramekin amount.  Twice.

Ingredients:
32 oz container plain fat free yogurt
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup lemon juice (~ 2 lemons)
1/4 cup lime juice (~ 2 limes)
zest of 1 lime; zest of 1 lemon
4 sheets of graham crackers

Directions:
Mix yogurt, sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, lime juice, zest, and 2 graham sheets crumbled.
Put in ice cream maker according to directions.  With a Kitchen Aid, you set it up, turn it on, and pour it in.  20 minutes later add 2 more cracker sheets crumbled for a few minutes.  Voila.  Eat some soft serve style and freeze the rest for later and have a harder fro yo.




No comments:

Post a Comment